POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render time for a city macro : mesh vs. pigment_map for detail. : Render time for a city macro : mesh vs. pigment_map for detail. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 00:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Render time for a city macro : mesh vs. pigment_map for detail.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 1 Mar 2005 21:58:32
Message: <42252bd8$1@news.povray.org>
Hello, I've been thinking of writing my own city macro.  There are two basic
ways I can think of adding lots of detail.  I'm wondering which means of
adding detail would render faster:

i) boxes (or a mesh2 which is a simple, say 12-triangle box)  which show
detail (windows, etc.) by means of a really complicated pigment_map.

ii) mesh2's for every single detail: windows, window frames, etc.  These
however would probably have much simpler textures.

thanks for any educated opinions.